Single Use Plastic Bag Charge – Update
Last Updated on Monday 27th Apr 2015
We can now confirm that the ‘Single Use Plastic Bag Charge’ legislation has now been passed by Parliament.
Plastic Bags that are 70 micron and above will be exempt from the charge
- Single use plastic bags, below 50 micron, will have to be charged at a minimum 5p
- Retailers with less then 250 employees will be exempt
- Various other exceptions: bags for food, medicines. etc
- Also some size restriction included in legislation
Plastic bags, between 50-70 micron are now deemed as “re-usable” and will need to be charged to the consumer at a minimum 5p
- These bags need to have a minimum size… larger than 404mm x 439m
- However these bags will need to be replaced FOC, should the consumer return to the store and request replacement
More Detailed Information:
If you would like to discuss any specifics of the Single Use Plastic Bag legislation please contact your Account manager or the Sales Team on 0116 289 0900
a) Unwrapped food bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain wholly or partly unwrapped food for human or animal consumption.
(b) Unwrapped loose seeds bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain wholly or partly unwrapped loose seeds, bulbs, corns, rhizomes, flowers or goods contaminated by soil.
(c) Unwrapped blades bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain wholly or partly unwrapped axes, knives, knife blades or razor blades.
(d) Prescription-only medicine bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain a prescription-only medicine, a pharmacy medicine or a listed appliance sold in accordance with a prescription issued by a doctor, dentist, supplementary prescriber, nurse independent prescriber, independent nurse prescriber, optometrist independent prescriber, pharmacist independent prescriber or EEA health professional.
(e) Uncooked meat food bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain uncooked fish or fish products, meat or meat products or poultry or poultry products.
(f) Live aquatic creatures bag: A bag intended to be used solely to contain live aquatic creatures in water.
(g) Returnable multiple reuse bag: A bag which is sold for an amount not less than the minimum amount specified in article 3 and which—
- is intended to be returnable to the seller from whom it was purchased to be replaced free of charge;
- is made from material the thickness of which is not less than 50 microns but not greater than 70 microns; and
- disregarding the width of any gussets, or the height of any handles extending above the main body of the bag—
- has a width and height greater (in each case) than 404 mm; and
- has a width or height greater (in either case) than 439 mm.
(h) Woven plastic bag: A bag the material of which is made by interlacing long threads passing in one direction with others at a right angle to them.
(i) Transit goods bag: A bag which is intended to be used to carry goods in a transit place.